Any kind of cardio exercise that gets your blood pumping and large muscle groups working is good for your cardiovascular health regardless of your age or size.
We recommend that you get a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate cardio exercise or 60-90 minutes of vigorous activity each week. There are many benefits such as:
- Improves your cardiovascular health – Exercise strengthens your heart and helps efficiently pump blood throughout the body.
- Lowers blood pressure – Cardio exercise may help you manage symptoms of high blood pressure.
- Helps regulate blood sugar – Regular physical activity helps regulate insulin levels and lower blood sugar, all while keeping body weight in check.
- Reduces asthma symptoms – Cardio exercise may assist people with asthma lessen both the frequency and severity of asthma attacks.
- Reduces chronic pain – Low impact activities like swimming or aqua aerobics can get back muscle function and help build strength.
- Aids sleep – Suffer from insomnia? Starting an exercise programme has been proven to help with inability to sleep.
- Regulates weight – by taking a few brisk walks or jogs a day, maybe during your lunch break can burn between 400 and 600 calories.
- Strengthens the immune system – Regular and moderate exercise increases certain antibodies in the blood called immunoglobulins. That ultimately strengthens the immune system.
- Improves brain power – Did you know that the brain starts losing tissue after you reach the age of 30? Research shows that cardio exercise may slow this loss and improve cognitive performance.
- Safe for most people, including children – Cardio exercise is recommended for most people, even those who are older or who have chronic health conditions.
Do you have concerns about your cardiovascular health? Are you worried about your high blood pressure, weight, cholesterol, hereditary conditions, etc?
Here at The Aberdeen Clinic our Cardiovascular Team can undertake a review ensuring that you are looking after your heart in the best possible way.